Friday, November 30, 2012

Be on watch! Stay awake!

Dear Parishioners,

As my driver’s license was due to expire in a few weeks, I decided for once in my life, not to wait until the last minute. I heard MVA at Annapolis was quicker than Glen Burnie, so I went there. I discovered that if you go in late morning it’s going to be slow no matter where you go. So if you go, go early! As I waited, I paid attention to the numbers being called casually at first, because there were many others before mine. And as my number approached, I watched very intently as I didn’t want to miss my turn. I was very watchful, awake, and alert. In today’s gospel (Luke 21:25-28, 34-36), Jesus reminds us to do the same “Be on watch! Stay awake! You do not know when the appointed time will come.” Of course, Jesus is talking about being ready for the coming of the Lord at the end of time or the end of our lives. If I had missed my number at the MVA, it would have been most annoying and inconvenient, but if I’m not ready when Jesus comes, it would be tragic. That’s why I go to the sacrament of Penance at least once a month and say my prayers every morning and night. I want to be ready. How about you?

- Father Carl