Friday, June 18, 2021

God’s Plan For Us

Dear Parishioners,

As I am writing this, I am thinking that this will be my last reflection for the bulletin. I have enjoyed writing these little notes, and I hope they have not been too annoying! 

Our readings today speak about trust in God who quells the storms in our lives (Jb 38:1, 8-11; Ps 107:23-24, 25-26, 28-29, 30-31; 2Cor 5:14-17; Mk 4:35-41). I would say that this is perhaps the biggest decision we need to make. Above many things is our need to say to Christ, “Yes, I trust you.” I believe that my move to St. Mary’s will be lead by God. It is my job to listen for what God is offering to me and what He wants from me. My answer will come in the opportunities I am given, the people I meet, the little nudges I get from family, friends, and church. This move, if guided by God, by me allowing God’s will to guide me and the Holy Spirit to inform me, will result in good things. 

Can I say how this will happen? Well, no. Can I tell you how God will use me for His purposes? Well, no. But I need to work at saying “yes” to God and trusting Him with my life. I don’t always follow this wonderful dictate, I sometimes act selfishly and say stupid stuff or do dumb things. I hope that God has a sense of humor. He needs it with most of us! But when I reflect and think reasonably, my trusting God is the only thing that really makes sense. If I try to seek out happiness, that doesn’t work because some circumstances are not happy. If I try to fill up things with money or activity, that doesn’t work for the important things can’t be bought, and sometimes the best reaction is simple quiet. Let us trust in God and be open to His will. Let us know that God will reveal His plan in His time and in His way. Let us listen and keep our eyes open to His presence and His word.

Blessings,
Deacon Steve