Friday, June 24, 2022

Fr. Carl’s Farewell

NOTE: A Word From Our Pastor was initiated in May 2010 at the direction of Fr. Carl Cummings, and consisted of 636 weekly messages written by Fr. Carl and attending deacons as published in the parish bulletin. As of Fr. Carl’s retirment on July 1, 2022, the blog content will now be written by our new pastor, Fr. Steve Hook, and associate pastor, Fr. Jim Bors. Below is the last blog post written by Fr. Carl.

Dear Parishioners,

Rev. Msgr. Carl F. Cummings
Rev. Msgr. Carl F. Cummings
They say “All good things come to an end.” And this good thing of being your pastor at St. Jane’s is coming to an end and will happen in a few days on July 1st. I am grateful to the archdiocese for sending me here thirteen years ago and allowing me to stay three years past the mandatory retirement age of 75. But most of all, I appreciate the support and generosity of you, the people. I want to apologize to anybody I may have hurt or let down. That was never my intention, and I am sorry.

Last week when I was being interviewed by the Catholic Review, I was asked what impressed me the most about the parish. I said it was the generosity of the people. First, it was the warm welcome I received when I first arrived. Second it was the financial generosity in support of maintenance needs of the parish. While we had a significant amount of money in the bank, we had significant debts to pay. We were only $33,000 in the black. Nevertheless, we pressed on with the projects needed to be done. We retiled the lower church, renovated the parish hall and kitchen equipment, put a new roof on the church, and also put a new roof on the rectory, all to the expense of more than $500,000. At the same time, thanks to your generosity, our equity (assets minus liabilities) is in excess of $600,000. Of course, there is more to be done as the school needs a new roof, which should cost $400,000 or more. It’s a big project, but I am confident in the parish.

As I depart, I will not be going empty handed. I will be taking the memories of thirteen wonderful years and the confidence that Frs. Hook and Bors will bring about the betterment of St. Jane Frances and Our Lady of the Chesapeake.

Take care & God bless,
Fr. Carl