Friday, June 14, 2024

Fond Farewell

Dear Friends of Pastorate of the Visitation,

It’s hard to believe that the first two years of my priesthood are coming to a close at my beloved first priestly assignment here at St. Jane Frances and Our Lady of the Chesapeake. Thank you for welcoming me, inviting me into your homes, developing friendships, and just wanting to talk. You have greatly blessed me. I am thankful to God for you, and I will miss you. 

Some of the treasured memories that I will keep in my heart include: first and foremost, the time we have spent together as the Body of Christ listening to His Word, receiving our Lord in Holy Communion, worshipping our mighty and loving God at Mass. Bringing about new life in Baptism. Joining a man and woman as one in Holy Matrimony. Strengthening the sick and those close to death through the Holy Anointing. Celebrating the reception of First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. Celebrating Holy Week, Triduum, Easter and Christmas Masses, and other Solemnities. Visiting the elderly homebound each month and bringing Jesus in the Eucharist to them. Offering funeral Masses for our loved ones who have passed on. Time in the Confessional being forgiven. In Eucharistic Adoration. These are the supernatural joys of being a priest—being a “father” during the most sacred moments in life—a privilege beyond all telling, gifts freely given to us by our loving God.

I am thankful to God that the Body of Christ is alive and well in our pastorate, that the Lord calls so many here to serve Him and each other. I’ve loved spending time with you in our pastorate ministries and events, including men in the Knights of Columbus, women in Walking with Purpose, children in our Religious Education classes, youth in our vibrant middle school and high school ministries, our young adult group, RCIA, liturgical ministers and altar servers, our music ministers, the 7 Sisters, the Scouts, and VBS, to mention just a few. I’ll miss our Lenten Fish Frys and other parish meals and gatherings, Stations of the Cross, St. Patrick’s Day bazaar, Trunk or Treat and Easter egg hunts, Staff lunches, and the many other good ministries and events I did not list, as well as the countless celebrations and other good reasons for gathering together.

I’m also thankful to all who have helped lead, volunteer, or participate in some of our more recent pastorate ministries and events I’ve been honored to be a part of, including the annual Family Axe-Throwing Challenge & Pig Roast, men’s groups, Blessing of the Trucks, 3-in-1 Evangelization initiative, 3-in-1 Apologetics talks, Going Deeper, Seekers, the Lenten Mission on prayer, the St. Dymphna ministry for mental health, the Liturgy Committees, the Garden and Flower Committees, and other ministries that extend the Kingdom of God on the Pasadena Peninsula beyond our familiar boundaries.

You’ve shown me what it means to be a priest of Jesus Christ. You’ve helped form me to be a better priest, and for this I am eternally grateful. Please continue to keep me in your prayers as I move on to my next assignment on July 1, as you remain in mine. I look forward to seeing you at my Farewells.

Gratefully yours in Christ,
Father Jim (Bors)